Okay, so in the 6th month of pregnancy every has to take a One Hour Glucose Tolerance Test (GTT). This consists of drinking 5 grams of pure glucose and checking your sugar an hour later to see what your glucose level is. They want it to be less than 135 at my office. If you fail the GTT and have to go back to take a 3 Hour GTT. This means I have to drink 10 grams of glucose and check my sugars at 1, 2, and 3 hours to make sure I don't have Gestational Diabetes.
With Natalie I got like a 138 at the one hour and vomited in the waiting room of the office at the 3 hour so they said, well, you probably don't have it, be careful, blah blah.
This Time...
I got a 167 at the one hour and have to go back tomorrow for the 3 hour.
But...
If I were diabetic wouldn't I be spilling glucose into the my pee? Which, by the way, they check for at every freaking appointment. (I'm not!)
Why does someone who weighs as little as I do have to drink the same amount of glucose at the grand-ole-fat-pregnant-lady who was weighing herself at more than 200 while I was getting my finger pricked. (no offense intended if that is/was you)
They know that pregnant women process glucose slower than non-preggos, so why, oh why, do they expect a normal reading an hour after making you drink that sugar juice? (Josh and I both wish I hadn't thrown the rest out so we could test him - we bet his would be high too!)
Why can't they just check a random fasting or non-fasting glucose and if it's high THEN do this stupid test?
If I were diabetic would I have gotten a 99 (normal) on my home glucose machine 5 minutes ago while I was STUFFING MY FACE WITH CHOCOLATE!?!?!? I don't think so.
And...
Why does my office make you drink the 5 ounces of the liquid kind while other offices give you a teaspoon of some other kind and some offices say you can just eat 60 jelly beans and some offices say you only have to eat 18 jelly beans? I'm thinking no one knows what the crap is going on.
So...
...please think of me tomorrow morning as I endure the swallowing of the syrup and the nausea and vomiting that is likely to follow. Think of Josh as he has been given no choice but to come sit in the waiting room with me. Think of Natalie, too, although I'm sure she'll be fine. They'll give her a lolly-pop.
Thursday, July 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I never went for the 3 hour test. I check my sugar that morning and it was 82. Normal. What a surprise. I called Nurse Gail and reasoned with her using points 1,4, and 5 and she agreed that I could skip the test. Yay for smart people agreeing with me!! =)
Awesome! Josh told us all about it Friday - sounded awful.
I'm mailing your invites today, so be on the lookout!
I always dread the glucose test, mine is in a couple of weeks... I try to avoid my typical sugar cereal for breakfast the morning of my appointments so the pee test turns out each time! I'm glad all was normal for you and the 3 hour test was avoided! I also agree about having the same test for women of all weights and sizes... seems extremely off to me too!
I had to do the three hour, and it was awful the first hour, but it got better after the first hour. They said that is typical for whatever reason.
I had heard the same about jellybeans and all kinds of crazy stuff. Yeah, it all seems very haphazard to me.
I saw the invites Courtney made--they are super cute!
Post a Comment