
Since her first few days it has been apparent that Lindsey has reflux, and while I don't have anyone to compare her to (Natalie had no such issues), my guess is that it's moderate in nature. Her first month she gained plenty of weight and didn't have any ear issues but every day was a constant battle with keeping her head elevated, timing her feedings, keeping her fussiness to a tolerable level, and changing her clothes.
At her one month check up, we decided to start baby Zantac and start me on a totally dairy free diet. In another month, we'll stop one and see which is the cluprit. Either she does have reflux or she has an allergy to cow's milk protein that is so sensitive she's reacting from what she gets in my breast milk. In the mean time, though, I'm struggling with what I can and can not eat and how to vary my diet. Those who know me well know how picky an eater I am to begin with, so this is not easy.
I've gone through the pantry and freezer and put a blue check on things that are okay and a big red X on things that contain milk, butter, cheese, casein, whey, chocolate, etc. I even put my beloved Dove chocolates with almonds in a baggie in the freezer. I put soy milk in some blue-checked cereal yesterday morning, but then Lindsey had 4 green poops in the middle of the day. I'm thinking there's a relation and so that puts soy out. I'll try the rice milk later, I suppose. This is taking a lot of courage and good-mama willpower to not just go out and buy the expensive hypo-allergenic formula; especially considering the holidays are here and along with them the yummy baked goods. And we won't even talk about the tension this will put on my relationship with Starbucks.
If anyone has done this for their child, please tell me if it worked or not and feel welcome to give me some pointers. If you haven't, please tell me what a horrible experience you had getting your last froo-froo drink and how that chocolate you just ate was not a good batch.
5 comments:
Mikayla had reflux, but thankfully it wasn't a dairy sensitivity (we did rule that out so I went through a period like you are now). Almond Breeze milk is pretty good. They have a yummy vanilla flavor that is great in oatmeal, cereal, etc... It may be difficult, but just think - if she were on formula, you would probably be on that super expensive Nutramigen or Alimentum. Good luck!
Oh goodness... I really feel for you! I would have a tough time limiting my diet like that, good for you for sticking with it! I hope Lindsey turns out not to be allergic to cows milk, she'd miss out on so many goodies! And just think, Starbucks will be waiting for you when this is all done and maybe a holiday without baked goods won't be so bad... OK, maybe not... :)
I've been dealing with nursing issues the last two days as well. Cooper decided to quit latching on yesterday and today I was diagnosed with mastitis (sp?). Anyways, I've been an emotional wreck and in a ton of pain... thank goodness for the kind, kind lactation nurse who gave me a nipple shield and life is a little better. I still think you have it way worse, having to eliminate so many yummy foods!
Hooray for pretzels and Dr Pepper. They're really getting me through this!
Tomorrow it's off to Publix for hours to read labels and stock up!
Poor thing!!! Yes, Starbucks will be jealous that Lindsey is getting all the attention!!!
Riley had the "issues".....we ended up on ALimentum at 6 months, because no matter what I cut out/added/deleted/moderated, she couldn't resolve to feel better. Finally, I said, OK, I give up. We tried the soy formulas, but they didn't help. Thank heavens for Alimentum. She was a happy, fat, healthy babe in just a week. (well, maybe no the "fat" part)....
When she reached a year of age we were able to transistion to soy milk (like Silk) then at 18 months to regular milk. Apparently her gut just needed some time to get ready for milk. You wouldn't know it now, because she'll drink a gallon in a day if I don't stop her!!!! Good luck!!!!
Okay, green poop is not a soy problem.
According to my pediatrician It's just her adjusting to not having cow's milk protein - but that doesn't make sense because the same pediatrician told me it takes a full 3 weeks to get rid of all the cow's milk antigens in my system.
OR
according to a Google search and this article http://www.breastfeeding123.com/green-stools-in-the-breastfeeding-baby/
it's because I make too much milk. I've been joking that I make so much and I'm going to send her to Over-Eaters Anonymous, but it looks like I may not be too far from the truth!
Post a Comment