Natalie's 3rd birthday is a mere 3 weeks away. The other day I asked her, purely for my own entertainment, "Natalie, what do you want for your birthday?" The answer I expected was any of the following:"Yes." "Birthday." "Presents."
Or she might have rephrased the question and posed it back on me.
One of the long lasting delays with Natalie's speech has been her inability to answer a question. She simply just didn't have the vocabulary for it. Only in the last month has she started using the words "yes" and "no" appropriately.
Needless to say, I was shocked when she answered my question with this:
"Party!"
I cracked up.
My girl wants a party. A party she shall have! A party like no other!
Except for one thing.
The party I've planned is a soccer party.
10 kids, 1 ball, 2 goals, and 1 coach, booked, paid for, invitations sent.

And Natalie has been saying she wants an Elmo party. She keeps searching for the plastic Elmo topper from Last year's cake. I truly think she's only saying "Elmo party" because she either remembers last year or has seen the pictures a few too many times. When watching Sesame Street lately she turns it off when it gets to Elmo's World, so I really don't think she wants an Elmo party. But she doesn't seem to want the soccer party either.
So today I offered another option:
"Natalie, do you want a Dora party?"
See, Dora plays soccer and we could so easily tie these two together.
"Dora Party!" She replies in all smiles.
Thirty minutes later I clarify:
"Do you want an Elmo party or a Dora party?"
"Dora Party!"
An hour later I show her two pages on the interweb, one with Elmo party supplies and one with Dora.
"Dora Party!" as she points to the corresponding window on the laptop.
Now, at random intervals in random places during our day,
"Dora Party." "Dora Birthday Cake."
A Dora Party you shall have, my Natalie.
A Dora SOCCER party.
=)
2 comments:
Sounds like a great party- I wish we could come!! What little girl wouldn't LOVE a Dora/soccer party... I can't wait to see many, many pictures. I'm so jealous/impressed with how on top of things you are, I have no idea what to do for the kids' birthdays this year. Being only 2 days apart, I'll probably combine them again... maybe a Nemo party or something...
Mikayla had a Dora party a for her 3rd birthday. I still have many of the decorations and the Wilton cake pan if you would like to borrow them.
Sounds like fun!
Post a Comment