Sunday, November 15, 2009

Who Knew?

Who knew you could
Displace a Rib
from coughing for 3 weeks straight?

(Not me.)

Friday the 13th (of course) I was at work, typing boring normal vital signs into a computer when a coughing fit came on. Stifling it as I walked out of the room, I had one hard cough, a pop, stabbing worst pain of my life, and then I couldn't breathe. Couldn't move.

Fearing a collapsed lung, My friend and co-nurse Danielle took me across the street to the ER for grown ups and after a beautifully normal EKG and a not-quite-as-normal Chest Xray, Dr Nice Guy told me I'd displaced a rib. Danielle thought he was joking.

Prescriptions for healing: Rx for the good pain killer. Rest. Ice. Jacuzzi Soaks. Time.

The Rx and Ice and even the jacuzzi I have. The rest and time, a little harder to come by. But Josh has taken over super dad and hubby roles and I'm slowly and surely healing.


={ (my ouchy face)

6 comments:

Rachel said...

My mom had that happen once - unfortunately, it took her a while to get over. If I remember correctly, though, I think the bad pain only lasted about a week. If you need any help, let me know!

David said...

geez, all the healing prescriptions (spa, etc.) make the whole ordeal seem almost worth it! :)

Lisa said...

NOT worth it, David. At all. Aside from the obvious can't get comfortable and hate the drug side effects, I can't sit on the floor to play with N and I can't pick up my crying baby.

Brooke said...

How crazy! Hope you're starting to feel better. I hate the drug side effects, too... which usually means I skip the pain meds and just deal with the pain.

Lisa Christine said...

Ouch!!!!


te he he...I am laughing at David's comment and your response to it.

David said...

disabled comments on your new post? does the let's bring em home link in the sidebar replace that other link for the documentary that used to be there?

and for thanksgiving, Mashed potatoes! i'm not too much into sweet potatoes. which reminds me, since youre from georgia, do you eat georgia pudding for thanksgiving? i never heard of it until susan served it up for thanksgiving once. it's delicious.