Stone Mountain
is a huge piece of Granite just east of Atlanta.

A few fun facts:
- SM is the world's largest monolith and was formed by the un-eruption of a volcano and runs approximately 10 miles deep and 10 miles out in every direction below the earth's surface.
- The carving on the face of SM the world's largest bas-relief structure (yes, even bigger than Mount Rushmore!) and is of General Lee, President Davis, and General Jackson of the Confederacy. The carving process lasted from 1916-1972. More info on the carving can be found HERE including some neat early pictures.
- SM is one of the most visited National Park in the US.
- Seasonally, each evening at dusk there is an incredible Laser Show making the sculpture appear to be moving and for as long as I have lived the final song of the show is none other than Dixie.

I came here probably a hundred times as a child.
Josh and I climbed the mountain once on a date.
Last week my dad and I took the girls for their first
(of many, many to come)
trip to the top of Stone Mountain.
We had a blast.
The weather was perfect.
(of many, many to come)
trip to the top of Stone Mountain.
We had a blast.
The weather was perfect.
Here are some highlights:
4 comments:
I love reading about cool places around the country to put on my to-visit list! Maybe someday I will make a trip down your way and you can take me! :)
There! You are definitely my newest addition to my things-to-do-before-the-body-completely-gives-out list.
I especially want to take aride in the Box Hanging From A String!
wow that place looks amazing! i will definitely look you up for my tour guide! I've been to mt rushmore, so it would be cool to see borglum's other great work. but did i read correctly that he destroyed it then skipped town, and that they had to begin again or something like that?
the only time i've been to georgia is the atlanta airport, but i'll get there for reals at some point.
I've never even heard of stone mountain! Looks amazing!
Post a Comment