Sunday, March 30, 2008
What I Do
Aside from Wife and Mommy, I hold the prestigious title of being a Pediatric Emergency Nurse. Most days and nights this involves medicines, IVs and blood draws, and sending kids onto the OR, hospital admission or, most often, their house. Sometimes, though, my day is different. Special, even. Today was one of those days. A family was sent to our ER after being told something was quite wrong with their infant's brain and that we, the pediatric hospital, would figure it out. Luckily, we did and it turned out to be nothing; "artifact" according to the radiologist. The baby did require my IV skills (which were in good practice today, thankfully) and my infant nursing knowledge, but nothing I would say that was extraordinary. After a few hours they were able to head home reassured, comforted, and with a baby who was smiling and playful. I don't tell this story to make it sound like I'm anything above average in the nursing world, but to say how wonderful it is to be part of such a happy-ending story and to know that I was appreciated as a nurse and that my role with their child was a positive one. These days are the reason I LOVE MY JOB!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
What you do is amazing - never underestimate that! Who knows how many countless thousands of people you've touched over the years. And I know firsthand what a great nurse you are thanks to you letting me shadow you last year:)
Post a Comment