Sunday, May 9, 2010

A Camping We Will Go!

One secret to a happy marriage, I've read,
is to be the people you were
before you had kids.

One thing Josh and I were:
Campers!

Backpacking, tree hugging, granola eating campers!

Natalie came home a few weeks ago all a buzz about campfires.

So we thought,
"Let's Go Camping!"

We decided to take the "easy" way out and rent a pop-up camper.
(complete with air conditioning for the first night and heat for the second!)

We went for two nights to
Moccasin Creek State Park on Lake Burton
and had a wonderful weekend.

There were a few expected rough patches, like getting Lindsey to sleep and building a campfire with 25mph wind gusts, but nothing went wrong, making this trial run of camping with kids a rousing success!

As always, the highlights:


One excited Natalie in her "sleeping" bag
just as soon as we got there and set up

Lindsey, the first morning,
notice the grown up's bed she ended up in!*

Breakfast of champions, Pop Tarts!

A Nature Hike on our way to...

a home made trail mix snack at
the waterfall!
(we're facing it)

Natalie and I canoeing on Lake Burton
Did you know I had certifications in and am a awesome canoeist?
Yup! That's even my own personal paddle I'm using!


You can't complete a weekend camp-out without
Roasting Marshmallows!

=)


*did you notice Lindsey's two front teeth?
Stay tuned, that's another story for another day.

2 comments:

Brooke said...

Looks like fun! We have a pop-up camper and I'm looking forward to doing a little camping this summer! I can't wait to hear about Lindsey's teeth... what happened? Poor thing!

SuzanSayz said...

How great to share something you both love with your daughters. I remember many camping trips during my childhood and I loved them all.
I don't love camping anymore (give me a nice hotel room and restaurant meals) but I'm sure happy that I had many experiences with it in my younger years.