Saturday, October 4, 2008

She's Here!


Lindsey Elisabeth
5 pounds 15 ounces
18 3/4 inches long
Oct 3, 2008
12:04 PM


Here's the story, in brief:
Thursday I nested all day then we took a family walk around the neighborhood, I wouldn't be surprised if we walked for 2 miles. It worked and at 7pm my contractions were at regular 7 minute intervals. We called the doc and headed to the hospital. By midnight, after getting IV fluids and already being told I was dilated 4-5 cm the now every 2-4 minute apart contractions stopped. Who knew you could put yourself in to false labor that seriously! At this point no one is going to leave, so it's ambien for sleep and we'll talk to the doc in the morning.

Dr G was on duty! He delivered Natalie and we're thrilled! Pitocin was started at 7am and my water broken by 8, epidural at 10, and at 11:40, OMG, I needed to push! They called Dr G and said we need you NOW! I was having to do lamaze type breathing to keep from pushing! Dr G arrived, the room was transformed in minutes and after a few wimpy pushes through one contraction (hey, I'd forgotten how to do this!), some good pushes through the next contraction, she was born in the middle of the third contraction! That's right, folks, 4 good pushes and I had a baby! She had the cord around her neck one time but that was quickly moved aside before it could cause any problems. She was a little hesitant to give us a good cry, but once she did, look out! Baby Lindsey was rooting around already and latched on instantly to breast feed.

Big Sister Natalie

Things (knocking on wood) have been a breeze since. We were discharged today at 1pm following her hearing test and 24-hour-old labs. We're all doing great. Natalie has taken on the Big Sister role with great pride! Any time Baby Lindsey makes a fuss Natalie says "there's Baby!" and comes over to see what we're doing. She's, so far, shown no jealousy with me holding Lindsey or breast feeding her. It is hard to fit in moments just for me and her, but I'm sure that will come with time and practice. Josh is being a super awesome dad to the girls, naturally.

ready to go home

That's all for now, I'm a little tired and dinner will be ready soon. =)

(yes, I wrote this last night but then didn't get around until posting today. Such is life with a toddler and a new baby!)

3 comments:

Brooke said...

Congratulations and welcome to baby Lindsey!! I can only hope to have a similar experience to yours- a handful of pushes and out comes baby! Sounds like you are settling into things really well and I'm glad Natalie hasn't shown any jealousy. I bet she wants to do nothing but love on her new baby sister! I think we're going to have issues with Riley wanted to hold, cuddle, and love on the baby a bit too much... but who knows!

Hope you're resting! And you look fantastic for just having a baby! I'm so happy for you and your family! Thanks for the pictures- Lindsey is adorable! :)

Suzanna said...

Congratulations!! She's beautiful!

Unknown said...

Congratulations to all of you! We've been out of town but got the email announcing her arrival and are thrilled for all of you! Can't wait to see her!